< REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION >
[WITH HEATED STEERING WHEEL]
STEERING GEAR AND LINKAGE
12. Apply recommended thread locking sealant to the thread (2
turns thread), and then screw in the adjusting screw until it
13. Move rack assembly 10 strokes throughout the full stroke so that
the parts can fit with each other.
14. Adjust pinion rotating torque with the following procedure.
Measure pinion rotating torque within
of neutral position
of the rack assembly using Tools. Stop the gear at the point
Loosen adjusting screw and retighten to 5.4 N·m (0.55 kg-m, 48
Measure pinion rotating torque using Tools to make sure that the
Apply recommended liquid gasket to inner socket and turn pinion fully to left with inner socket installed to
Install dial gauge at 5 mm (0.20 in) (L) from the edge of gear
Measure vertical movement of rack assembly when pinion is
• If reading is outside of the specification, readjust screw angle
with adjusting screw.
• If reading is still outside of specification, or if the rotating torque of adjusting screw is less
than 5 N·m (0.51 kg-m, 44 in-lb), replace steering gear assembly.
• Never turn adjusting screw more than twice.
A: Preload gauge [SST: ST3127S000 (J-25765-A)]
B: Preload adapter [SST: KV48103400 (
Pinion rotating torque
Around neutral position
) average (A)
: 1.59 – 2.0 N·m (0.17 –
Maximum variation (B)
: 0.39 N·m (0.04 kg-m, 3.0
: 0.265 mm (0.0104 in)
Revision: 2012 September